Graduate Student Conference Travel Awards
The Graduate Student Research Travel Award provides financial support to graduate students in thesis-based programs who are attending and presenting research at academic or professional conferences.
Research presentations supported by this fund will include presentations at professional conferences of findings from projects conducted by UOIT graduate students. Graduate students must be recommended by their supervisor and graduate program director to receive such awards. Projects must have been conducted under the mentorship of UOIT faculty.
Value of awards
The committee will award up to $500 per student, with most awards in the $300 range, even though the cost of attending the conference may exceed that amount.
There are a limited amount of funds available to award each semester. Awards are contingent upon the availability of funds and the number of applications. Preference is given to students who have not previously received a Graduate Student Research Travel Award.
As this award serves as supplemental funding for the proposed conference, applicants are expected to seek out additional funding from other sources and clearly indicate these sources on their application form.
Application process and deadline
Applications will be reviewed and acted upon twice a year (end of September and January). Students may apply before or after the conference. Applications will be accepted any time prior to the application deadline.
Fall deadline: October 15, for conferences between October 1 and March 31.
**This year only, the Office of Graduate Studies will accept applications for any travel that occurred from April 1, 2016.
Spring deadline: April 15, for conferences between April 1 and September 30.
Award recipients will be notified within one month of the submission deadline.
The form must be signed by the student's supervisor and graduate program director. In addition to a completed application, the student must also submit a copy of the conference presentation abstract and confirmation of conference acceptance.
Eligibility to apply
In order to apply for travel support, a graduate student must meet the following criteria:
- Be actively presenting their research (relevant to their current degree program) at an academic conference that occurs within the appropriate cycle's timeframe.
- Be enrolled as a thesis-based master's or doctoral student at UOIT at the time of the conference.
Due to the limited number of awards available, eligibility does not guarantee receipt of financial support.
Applications will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- Applicant is in good academic standing and has strong supervisor/graduate program director support.
- Proposed academic conference is appropriate at the current stage of the applicant's program.
- Conference is sponsored by a scholarly association/society, university or institution.
- The student must be the presenting author for at least one presentation or poster.
- Preference will be given to full-time graduate students.
Payment will be made in accordance with the university's existing policy on research travel expenses. Itemized receipts and proof of attendance will be required.
Proof may include:
- Proof of conference attendance and active participation (for example: conference brochure, agenda or screenshot of URL listing applicant as presenter).
- Receipt issued by conference organizer of registration showing amount paid.